Monday, May 24, 2010

The Story Behind My Beautiful Cake...

...is that the bottom part was burnt to a crisp. And I mean black. Seriously BLACK.

It was my first time using a gas oven. It didn't have an exact temperature setting, just a symbol for slow fire or hot fire. Hentam pakai api paling kecik jer.

So anyway, I took it out of the oven when I thought it was done. I thought I had a perfect cake when I saw that the color (of the top part) turned out a beautiful chocolate brown.

Boy was I wrong. Cos when it cooled, I turned it upside down to take it out of the cake pan... and there it was... the very black bottom of the cake. HITAM. I really shud've taken a picture ;-)

Tergelak sorang2.

But naaaaaaaaak jugak selamatkan cake tuu.

I cut off the bottom part of the cake. Nasib baik yang atas tuu tak rasa pahit ker apa. Poured the butterscotch sauce over it and served. Sedap :-D

So after a post mortem with my mother (and getting seriously laughed at by her) I now know my mistake. I put the cake pan too close to the fire in the oven and directly on the first oven tray. I should've put a 'grill' tray on top of the first oven tray and only then put my cake pan on top of a 'grill' tray so the heat doesn't come in direct contact with my cake pan. (Ok, this is the best way I can put my explanation into words... sorry kalau tak paham).

But even with that blunder the cake tasted really, really good. Nii nanti nak buat lagi skali. Sesiapa rajin give it a try k. (I think I copied the recipe from Nigella's site.)

STICKY DATE PUDDING (refer previous post for the pic)
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1 teaspoon baking soda
90 g (3 1/4 oz.) butter, softened
115 g (1/2 cup) soft brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
185 g (1 1/2 cups) self-rising flour

Sauce:
230 g (1 cup) soft brown sugar
250 ml (1 cup) cream
90 g (3 1/4 oz.) butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 180 (350 F/Gas 4). Brush an 18 cm (7 inch) square cake pan with melted butter and line with parchment paper. Put the dates and baking soda in a bowl and add 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water. Stir and leave for 15 minutes.

2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs gradually. Add the vanilla extract. Fold in half of the flour then half of the date mixture. Stir in remaining flour and dates, mixing well. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer. (Skewer comes out clean, with little crumb sticking to it.) Leave to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto serving plate.

3. To make the sauce, put all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat, and watching careful, simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over warm pudding and serve.



4 comments:

Drama Mama said...

alaaaaa...apsal takdak gambar. nak tengok!!!! hehe

http://twinkywinkystars.blogspot.com

aizuraawang said...

hahahahah... i dah campak jauh2 nak lupakan tragedi hitam ituuu!!! :-D

FAM said...

aah la..why no picture. nevertheless, gambar kek yg telah diselamatkan nmpak sedap. will try!! ok, kita paham explanation awak tu.

aizuraawang said...

itu laaa... dahh selamat campak baru terpikir nak amik pic kenang-kenangan...hhihihiihihi...reminder to self jgn dibuat lagi ;-)